Malkmus The Voice That Makes It Happen
Stephen recently took time out from his busy interview
schedule to... get interviewed again. Sick of softball questions
like how did you get your name? and is there
a law that says you can only fall in love once? Stephen
willingly submitted to a harsh interrogation at the hands
of Nils and Matt. Not sure who played good cop and who was
bad, but you can see the results for yourself in beautiful
time! As you might have read, Stephens solo debut
was provisionally entitled Swedish Reggae. For
fear of getting filed in the reggae or world
music section at Tower, a corporate decision was made
to force Stephen to call the album something really crazy.
Like, Stephen Malkmus. Anyhow, if you can name
another practicioner of Swedish reggae, you might win yourself
a pair of tickets to Stephens sold out show at the Bowery
Ballroom this Thursday night (1/25). The most creative answers
will be unveiled in this space.
To Enter: Send your full name and answer to email@example.com.
Well contact the winners via email, so make sure your
return address is right. Youve got to be 18 or older
and will need to present ID at the door to claim your tickets.
Weve got 10 pairs to hand out.
Q: When does a party not have food, drinks,
good conversation or any possibility of sex? Other than a
party at my house, that is? A: An Internet listening
party. The entire
Stephen Malkmus album will be streaming through February
16 on broadcast.com
Twitch of Mount Florida Flying In (and Flying Out)
Twitch, one half of Mount Florida and creative DJ beyond
compare, will be supplying pre-recorded entertainment at 9:00
PM before Stephen Malkmus set at the Bowery next week
(also on the bill the aptly named Endless Boogie).
Later that night, hell be spinning at the Flyer magazine
party taking place at Fun (130 Madison at Pike St. 12:30 -
3:00 AM. $5) Twitch can also be seen & heard mixing it
up at the Polar Bear Club (Tonic, 167 Norfolk St. 11:00 PM
- 2:00 AM. No cover.) the following evening. Mount Floridas
long-awaited US full-length debut, Arrived Phoenix
is available on January 30th on CD or double vinyl. In the
meantime, take a listen to an
hour long DJ Twitch mix made exclusively for Matador.
Belle & Sebastian New Recordings
According to our friends at NME.com, Belle & Sebastian
are about to commence new recordings with producer Mike Hurst,
best known for his supervision of Petula Clarks Downtown.
More news as we learn about it (ie. read it about it somewhere
MC Paul Barman Steady (Cock) Mobbin
MC Paul Barman is hard at work finishing up his next single
for Matador, Cock Mobster, and hes got a
bunch of February dates with dalek, Prince Paul and others.
15 - Providence, RI - The Met Cafe w/ dälek
16 - Northampton, MA - Pearl Street w/ DJ Spooky
17 - Medford, MA - Tufts
18 - New Haven, CT - Toads Place w/ Prince Paul and
19 - Worcester, MA - Clark University
21 - Hoboken, NJ - Maxwells w/ Prince Paul and dälek
22 - Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero w/ Prince Paul and dälek
Matador & Music Industry Conventions
A Match Made In Biz Heaven
Are there 2 words more despicable in the english language
than label showcase? This could be a good contest
(no SM tickets this time). Anyway, the following artists will
be playing at Matadors officially approved evening during
South By Southwest 2001:
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks
The Soft Boys
(Possibly one additional artist, but were not saying
who today. Not because it is a big secret, but because we
havent figured it out yet). The venue is the Austin
Music Hall. The date to remember is Saturday, March 17. Austin
is the capitol of Texas, the largest state in the Union. We
would never in a million years seriously suggest that this
great state be handed over to Mexico and would sincerely like
to apologize for any confusion or offense that mightve
resulted from an ill-fated promotion that took place during
our last visit. The person responsible for that promotion,
no longer works for us, but can be reached in care of Warp.
Mogwai Official News You Can Use
Looks like we finally scooped NME.com on something. The
forthcoming Mogwai album, subject of intense speculation and
adjectives like huge, throb-tastic
and succulent is really / truly / seriously entitled
The forthcoming Khan album, also the subject of intense
speculation (and the very same adjectives), is called No
Comprendo. Apparently this means "what the fuck" in
south Texan. Hot shot guest stars include Kid Congo Powers,
Jon Spencer, Andre Williams, Diamanda Galas, and long-time
Khan associate Julee Cruise.
Mary Timony is off on a brief tour in February. While
shes away, were offering an unreleased, alternate
version of "Poison Moon" on the site. Also check out new
MP3s from Stephen Malkmus, Large Professor,
Lesser, and dälek.
as were all still engrossed in opening Xmas junk mail
and prosecuting Stephen Malkmus bootleggers (in that order),
theres not much bona fide news to report this time.
As you mightve seen in the Village Voice, Stephen is
making his NYC solo debut at the Bowery Ballroom on January
25, and no, we dont have any tickets for you. Much like
the Final Four or the Streisand Retirement Tour (hopefully
more like the former), this is one tough ticket. And you are
one tough crowd.
Other than that, we are very thrilled and honored to announce
that Graeme Downes, the guitarist/vocalist behind The Verlaines
(easily of the greatest bands of out lifetimes) has signed
a new deal with Matador. Graemes solo debut, Hammers
& Anvils will be available later in 2001, and when we
have more information and art to show you, well, thats
just what well be doing.
Year-end best of lists are a crazy thing, cept
when we see our records pop up on so many of them. Yo La Tengo,
Belle & Sebastian and Cat Power have all been raking in
the accolades left and right, and if you are a member of the
fourth estate who hasnt received his or her Christmas
bonus yet, please ring Nils on his cell phone.
Until then, Matador artists and staff were invited to compile
their favorite records and events of the year 2000. As youll
see, not everyone contributed to this orgy of identity politics,
and perhaps that was a good thing. If worse comes to worse,
you can always call them up and ask.
Pete Astor The Wisdom Of Harry
things that have made The Wisdom Of Harry very happy in the
- The arrival of the excellent Otto
- Listening to The Sophtware Slump by Grandaddy, particularly
Hes Simple, Hes Dumb, Hes The Pilot
for the first time on a listening post where I remained transfixed
for the full 8 minutes of the song.
- Marvelling at the combination of intelligence, stupidity
and brilliance of The Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem
- Hearing ...And Then Nothing turned Itself Inside Out
by Yo La Tengo in the lobby of the very corporate & very
nasty House Of Blues hotel in Chicago, the unexpectedness
& majesty of which almost reduced me to tears - (some
other emotional factors did truthfully contribute to this
- Tuning in to Matrix on Sounds FM 94.3 early Sunday mornings
when Im hanging out with Otto
- Enjoying the righteous anger and funk of Lets Get Free by
- Digging in to the abstract hall of mirrors of weird shit
by Thomas Brinkman, Pole, Morr Music, Ifach and many others
some of whom are so abstract their names escape me
- Dancing to Tobias Thomass set at the Kompact night
at Studio 672 in Koln
- Loving the magic and majesty of The Kingsbury Manxs
best of 2000 / payola team:
- m.nikolai "back"/ perlon
- kid clayton "lateral forces" 12" /VForm
- our kids
- talib kweli & hitek "reflection eternal" LP/ rawkus
- madonna "music" LP/ maverik
- tarwater "animals,suns & atoms" LP/ kitty-yo
- Day One "ordinary man" LP/ virgin
- b.friedmann "....&the nun dub players" LP/scape
- hometrainer vs. fc-shuttle party all over there concerts
- daft punk "one more time" 12" /daft life
Ché Ryeback, Matador Records
- the White Stripes - "s/t"
- Drinking with Mogwai @ 6a.m. in the morning ordering Chris
Lombardi flowers... 4 times.
- Blue sunglasses
- Two Lone Swordsmen - "Tiny Reminders"
- Playing pool
- Boards Of Canada - "In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country"
- New friends
- Old friends
- Dr. Pepper shots (well worth the hassle)
- Harry Smiths - "Anthology #4"
- Andre Williams - "The Black Godfather"
- Anything Scottish
- Maxim Magazine (The issue with the girl on the cover)
- Girls with Street names
- Floaty guitar laden songs or song number seven "despite"
on the new Bardo Pond
- Introducing myself as Hank cos people cant say Ché
- Flannel shirts
- The bar I go to all the time, my home away from home
- Napster (sorry Lars)
- The mess that is/was the U.S. Presidential elections. Only
in America. (Glad Im not American)
- And a ton of other stuff that I cant remember cos
I was inebriated at the time.
CD player is busted which is not good. Bought Kid A but
only listened to it once so havent really formed an
opinion yet. New Coldplay album Ive heard a cupla times
and liked so thats on the shopping list (along with
a new CD player) as is the new Emmylou Harris album... and
the Wallflowers... otherwise rediscovering Webern.
Top 10 audio experiences/experiments of the year
1. Electronic Tonalities Bottlehead Paramour monoblocks
2. Amperex BugleBoy 12AU7s (Holland) new old-stock (vacuum
3. Klipsch Heresys with Radio Shack connector sealant wrapped
around both horns on interior, stuffed with fiberglass, braced
with two-inch dowels and a 3/4" MDF back panel with new terminals
4. Finally figuring how to adjust tonearm height on Thorens
TD-145 and stripping the collar screw sockets on the pole
at the same time (turntable)
5. Argent Room Lenses, unfortunately an improvement (acoustical
6. Cardas 300B Microtwin 1 1/2m lengths (interconnects)
7. Large inflatable mattress propped against right wall, unfortunately
an improvement (acoustical tuning device)
8. Rogue 66 retubed with Amperex World Logo 6DJ8s new old-stock
9. Blue flash and burning smell the first time I plugged in
the right-hand Paramour (power amp)
10. Figuring out that the much-heralded brand-new McCormack
DNA-125 power amp, at 125 watts per channel, is blown completely
out of the water by a pair of hobbyist-built vacuum tube power
amps at 3.5 watts per channel. Completely out of the water.
Dave Martin, Matador Records
1 Sonic Youth "NYC Ghosts & Flowers" (Geffen)
2 AC/DC "Stiff Upper Lip" (East West)
3 Damon & Naomi w/Ghost (Sub Pop/Drag City)
4 Come Ons S/T (Sympathy For The Record Industry)
5 Eleventh Dream Day "Stalled Parade" (Thrill Jockey)
6 Golden "Summer" (Slowdime)
7 OOIOO "Gold & Green" (Shock City/Tratorria)
8 Two Lone Swordsmen "Tiny Reminders" (Warp)
9 Jonas Bering "Bienfait" (Kompakt)
10 The White Stripes "De Stijl" (Sympathy For The Record Industry)
Christy Simpson, Matador Records
Top 7 Let Downs of the Over-Hyped Year 2000
1. M&Ms, although the "official" candy of the millennium,
taste no better, really.
2. Other than ruining a Madonna video, Ali G never dominated
the US comedy market. Instead, we got the dumber and less
intelligible version - Tom Green.
3. It is almost 2001, and I am still no closer to being cloned
than 11 months ago.
4. Dark Angel. Like Buffy, but without all that "messy" dialogue.
5. Ol Dirty Bastards shenanigans were so sub-par
compared to his antics of 1998 and 1999.
6. The Backstreet Boys prophetic "Millennium" album
just didnt sum up the last (or next) 1000 years as promised
by Carson Daly.
7. Fred Durst still breathes.
Twitch, Mount Florida
Sun City Girls - Torch Of The Mystics
Johnny Cash - American III
Atom Heart feat, Tea Time - XXX
Atom Heart / Erik Satin - Light Music
Fela Kuti - Box 2
Bergheim 34 - How To Sell Out When No One Is Buying
Shimmer Kids - Bury My Heart At Makeout Point
Miles Davis - Tribute to Jack Johnson
Max Romeo - Chase The Devil
Harry Smith - Anthology 4
Coil - Music To Play In the Dark Vol 2
Pink Floyd - Live 67 Bootleg
Outkast - Stankonia
ESG - A South Bronx Story
Various - Disco, Not Disco
Various - New Orleans Funk
Boards Of Canada - A Beautiful Place In The Country
Golden - Summer
Arab Strap - Rocket / Darkness
Him - Our Point Of Departure
homas geltinger (couch)
tied+tickled trio-rmx (morr music)
fennesz-live at revolver (touch)
woody allen-small time crooks
jurgen soder (couch)
music related tops 2000
kelis - get along with you (virgin)
bebel gilberto - august day song (crammed)
tuxedomoon - what use (crammed/gigolo)
jeans team live at popkom, cologne
getting signed by matador and therefore getting a free bag
Ben Goldberg, Matador Records
Scorched Earth Policy - Keep Away From The Wires (Medication)
Go Betweens - Friends Of Rachel Worth (Jetset)
Arovane - Tides (City Centre Offices)
Joshua/Six Organs Of Admittance at The Cooler
New Pornographers - Mass Romantic (Mint)
Dancer In The Dark/Bjork - Selmasongs (Elektra)
The Intima - No Lullaby for Sleep (Zum)
Aislers Set - The Last Match (Slumberland)
Slumber Party - Slumber Party (Kill Rock Stars)
Author Unknown by Dan Foster
James McNew, Yo La Tengo
whats up 2000:
-- The Original Kings Of Comedy
-- Lambchop, Nixon LP
-- the "Behind The Laughter" episode of The Simpsons
-- Slum Village, "I Dont Know"
-- Lois Maffeo & Brendan Canty, "How I Came To Know"
-- Aki Tsuyuko, Ongakushitsu LP
-- Childs View, live in Osaka
-- Happy Flowers reunion gigs
-- Kreuzs Market, Lockhart, TX
-- Go-Betweens, "Going Blind"
-- Vladislav Delay, Entain & Multila LPs
-- Lucy Grealy, As Seen On TV
-- Eleventh Dream Day, Stalled Parade LP
-- Chris Knox, "Laughter"
-- David Waltuck, Staff Meals
Lyle Hysen, Matador Records
top ten (or so) things of 2000 (besides getting married):
- Jason Moran "Facing Left"
- Andrew Hill - "Dusk"
- Matthew Shipp Trio - Pastoral Composure
- The Come Ons - "The Come Ons"
- Two Dollar Guitar - "Lame Beats " etc
- City Eatery - Restaurant- 316 Bleecker
- Shelby Lynne - I Am
- Bebel Gilberto - Tanto Tempo
- De La Soul-Art Official Intelligence
- Calexico - Hot Rail
- "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" - Ang Lee Film
- Gunter "Baby" Sommer Drum solo Vison fest. May 2000
- Silkworm - Live @ Mercury Lounge (date?)
- David Sedaris - Me Talk Pretty One Day
Nils Bernstein, Matador Records
Top 11 listening favo(u)rites of 2000 (no partic. order):
1) Godspeed You Black Emperor - Levez Vos Skinny Fists Comme
Antennas To Heaven (kranky)
2) Bundle of Hiss - Sessions: 1986-1988 (Loveless)
3) Spoon - "Change My Life" (Merge)
4) Boards of Canada - In A Beautiful Place... EP (Warp)
5) New Pornographers - Mass Romantic (Mint)
6) The White Stripes live
7) The Fucking Champs - IV (Drag City)
8) Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun (Festi/Fatcat)
9) Delgados - The Great Eastern (Chemikal Underground/Beggars
10) True Love - S/T (Cropduster)
11) Enon - Believo! (Seethru Broadcasting)
1. Beige - I Dont Either (Leaf)
2. Take Rodriguez - Prince of Mambo Breaks (Cheap)
3. Burnt Friedman - EP 1, EP 2 - (Nonplace)
4. Gramm - Personal Rock (Source)
5. Savath + Savalas - Two Blues for Marion Brown (Hefty)
6. Lo Soul - Belong (Playhouse)
7. Move D/ Thomas Meinecke - Freuds Baby (Intermedium)
8. Recloose - Cant Take It (Planet E)
9. Slipper - Invisible Movies (Rephlex)
10. Bergheim 34 - How To Sell out When No Ones Buying
Website Highlights for 2000:
Orbit Tracking Site
- Madonna "Music" Mixer
(hard to work unless your connection is super fast, go to
flash site then to "Music" mixer section)
(was better when hosted directly by Sanrio)
- If Youre Really Into
- Essential For Travelers: MapBlast
(but you must bring a regular map as well)
Solex most frequently received e-mails top 5 of 2000
1. Daily e-mail lunch news from Dutch newspaper Het Parool.
2. NME newsletter.
3. Good Records newsletter; recordshop in Dallas Texas. (dont
even try to unsubscribe !!!)
4. The agenda of the German Gallery / venue Club 2. Since
anyone can copy/paste to whom these e-mails are sent, I now
get newsletters from about 35 other German artlovers.
And I even never ever subscribed to the Club 2 agenda in the
first place. GGRRRRRRR (or should I say Scheisse??)
5. Gerard Cosloys request-e-mails for lists, news and
other exciting stuff. Makes you wonder if life really should
Mark Ohe, Matador Records
Top 10 Records for the Last Year of the 2nd Millenium
The Moving Sidewalks, "Flash", Album Reissue (Arkama)
Guided by Voices, "Suitcase", CD Box (Rockathon/Luna)
Spoon, "Love Ways", CDEP (12XU)
AC/DC, "Stiff Upper Lip", Album (East/west)
Console, "Rocket in the Pocket", Album (Matador)
ESG, "South Bronx Story", Album Reissue (Universal Sound)
Skip Spence, "Oar", Album Reissue (Sundazed)
Bardo Pond, "Slab", 10" (Three Lobed)
The Pretty Things, "Defecting Grey", 10" (Norton)
V/A, "Teenage Shutdown, Howlin For My Darlin!!!", Album
Top 11 Shows/Live Events
for the Last Year of the 2nd Millenium
NY Mets vs. SF Giants, NY/SF
Sam Phillips (In Person!), Documentary Film Screening/Talk,
Museum of Television and Radio, Manhattan, NY
Ralph Nader (In Person!), Green Party Rally, Madison Square
Garden, Manhattan, NY
The Snakes, The Crows Nest, Brooklyn, NY
Robyn Hitchcock, Joes Pub, Manhattan, NY
Chris Bonnington (In Person!), The Union Club, Manhattan,
Spoon, Brownies, Manhattan, NY
NY Mets vs. St. Louis Cardinals, NY/St. Louis
Live Human, Westbeth Theater, Manhattan, NY
Spaulding Rockwell, Rubiat, Brooklyn, NY
Eddie Palmieri, Tarrytown Theater, Tarrytown, NY
Ill Millers Top Records and/or
Favorite Wrestling Moments of 2000
At The Drive In "Relationship of Command"
Ric Flair winning his 15th Heavyweight Championship
The Promo Mr. Flair cut the night after.
The (International) Noise Conspiracy "Survival Sickness"
All 3 tag title matches from Royal Rumble, Summerslam and
Modest Mouse "The Moon & Antartica"
Hulk Hogan getting fired live at the Bash At The Beach
DJ Assault "Off the Chain For the Y2K"
Any promo Edge and Christian cut after Wrestlemania
Any promo Kurt Angle cut
Miracle Of 86 "s/t"
Trish Stratus doing anything.
Les Savy Fav "(Rome) Written Upside Down"
Rob Van Damn creates the greastest wrestling move ever in
Shelby Campbell, Matador Records
I had to really think about this (not a whole lot to choose
from this year), but I finally managed to eek out a top 10
list for my favorite y2k releases:
1. OutKast - Stankonia
(+ the "Mrs. Jackson" video is one of the best ive ever
2. Modest Mouse - Moon & Antarctica (god, they sound sooo
3. Radiohead - Kid A
4. Corrosion of Conformity - Americas Volume Dealer
5. Red Snapper - Our Aim is to Satisfy Red Snapper
6. ACDC - Stiff Upper Lip
7. De La Soul - Art Official Intelligence: Mosaic Thump
8. Alex Gopher - You, My Baby & I (not new, but new to
9. PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
(was never a fan before this album)
10. Built to Spill - Live (theyre always a good standby)
Matt Ransford, Matador Records
Saddest and Most Infuriating Moment:
Freaks & Geeks cancellation by NBC.
Best Live Show:
Yo La Tengo. Town Hall, February 2000.
Other Things Im Thinking of Now:
Superdrag. In the Valley of Dying Stars.
Black Eyed Peas. Bridging the Gap.
Mark Bowden. Black Hawk Down.
PJ Harvey. Stories From the City...
Sleater-Kinney. All Hands on the Bad One.
Dr. Dre. 2001.
The Fucking Champs. IV.
ODB. McDonalds Parking Lot.
Mary Harron. American Psycho.
Kiki and Herb.
Adam Carroll, Matador Records
Redbreast 12 year
Tyrconnell Single Malt
Jesper Eklow, Matador Records
Jesper Eklow, thats me. Good stuff I can remember from
the year 2000
* Henri Michaux exhibit at Drawing Center, NYC
* Prinzhorn Collection exhibit at Drawing Center, NYC
* Nikon F
* LSD - Real Garage Punk From Sweden 1966! LP, Subliminal
Sounds - cant listen to it too much, but I often stare
at it in awe.
* I finally, after 15 years, got a copy of the Nobby Tåfjutt
Band 45 - Im still stimulated, and its been 10 days
already (which is a new record).
* Richard Harris, Richard Harris, Richard Harris
* Lucky Love Management
* Moms awesome christmas home cooking
* the late Beehoven Quartets still kick ass, espec when the
Budapest boys cook Æem.
* Kris Gillespie leaves the ship... and still delivers Arthur
Bryants ribs to us!!!!!
* and how about those Mets.
And what the fuck, Super Rally and Eddie Vedder
obviously is the wrong way of thinking here, Nader. I guess
we cant expect more than that from a moderate Social
Democratic Party (this is the rebel, outlaw,
outsider in American politics? Come on!! It actually
is that bad?? Not even people who care can do better than
Gary Labao, Matador Records
Personal punk faves:
"Angels With Dirty Faces" 2 cd anthology of Sham 69
"The Worldwide Tribute to Real Oi!" v/a
Most played Matador stuff this year:
"And Then Nothing..." Yo La Tengo
"Mogwai EP+2" Mogwai
Coolest movies Ive seen this year:
"Couching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" Totally awesome!!!
"In My Mind Forever" An Italian indie
Protest of the year:
April 15-16 Anti-IMF-WB summit, Washington, DC
Gerard Cosloy, Matador Records
Giant Sand - Chore Of Enchantment (Thrill Jockey)
Silkworm - Lifestyle (Touch & Go)
Richard Buckner - The Hill (Overcoat)
Sole - Bottle Of Humans (Anticon)
The Fall - Unutterable (Eagle Rock)
Capitol K - Island Row (Planet Mu)
J-Zone Presents - A Bottle Of Whupass (Old Maid)
Blechtum From Blechdom - The Messy Jesse Fiesta (Deluxe)
Shellac - 1000 Hurts (Touch & Go)
Marumari - The Wolves Hollow (Car Park)
(you cant count to ten without stopping before eleven:
Them - s/t (Anticon), Jamie Lidell - Muddlin Gear (Warp),
Rick Rizzo/Tara Key - Dark Edson Tiger (Thrill Jockey), Dr.
Dre - 2001 (Aftermath), Steev Hise - Original (Illegal Art),
Storm & Stress - Under Thumb & Flourescent Light (Touch
& Go), Anti Pop Consortium - Tragic Epilogue (75 Ark),
Eleventh Dream Day - Stalled Parade (Thrill Jockey), Turing
Machine (Jade Tree) Euro 2000 (more competitive than the Subway
Series, though Mike Bordick wouldve done just as poorly
here, too), "Curb Your Enthusiasm".
Heard It B4 (Dont Wanna Hear It Again) Dept.: Sigur
Ros, At The Drive In, Low, Jets To Brazil.